What is Cefixime?
Cefixime antibiotic is intended for the treatment of diseases caused by pathogenic bacteria. The tool is available in two forms, suitable for the treatment of children and adults, is highly effective because it acts on pathogens at the cellular level. Knowing the nuances of using the drug, you will quickly get rid of the infection.
The antibacterial drug Cefixime is intended for systemic use, is included in the group of third generation cephalosporins. This means that the drug is modern, causes a small number of side effects and works quickly. As an active substance, the medication contains the cefixime component, which has antimicrobial properties.
Cefixime refers to cephalosporin antibiotics, which differ in a wide spectrum of action. It destroys microorganisms, disrupts the synthesis of bacterial cell walls, interacts with penicillin-connecting proteins in the cytoplasm of the bacterial membrane. By destroying the transverse ligaments of peptide chains that strengthen the walls of bacteria, the substance inhibits cell growth and division.
The absorption of the drug is 60%, the drug is excreted from the body with urine and bile in 5-8 hours, binds to plasma proteins (albumin) by 65%. Bacteria with a high division rate are sensitive to cefixime. The drug is stable in the presence of enzymes, which allows it to influence the gram-negative microflora:
- Citrobacter amalonaticus and diversus;
- Escherichia coli;
- Morganella, Pasteurella multocida;
- Klebsiella pneumoniae and oxytoca;
- Providencia species;
- Proteus mirabilis and vulgaris;
- Clostridium difficile;
- Salmonella species;
- Shigella species;
- Serratia marcescens;
- Haemophilus influenzae and parainfluenzae;
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Moraxella catarrhalis;
- Streptococcus pyogenes, agalactiae and pneumonia;
- Listeria monocytogenes;
- Enterobacter, Bacteroides fragilis, and Clostridia.
Indications for use
Doctors prescribe cefixime in the presence of diseases caused by bacteria sensitive to the drug. These diseases include:
- chronic, acute bronchitis;
- urinary tract bacterial infections: cystitis, cervicitis, pyelonephritis, urethritis, gonorrhea;
- middle ear inflammation;
- pharyngitis, tonsillitis of a bacterial nature;
- exacerbation of bacterial bronchitis.
There are prohibitions on the use of cefixime. The drug is used with caution in renal failure, a history of colitis, pregnancy, and elderly patients. Contraindications to taking the medication are such diseases and conditions:
- hypersensitivity to cephalosporins, components of the composition;
- penicillin allergy;
- chronic renal failure;
- age less than 6 months, body weight less than 25 kg.
Instruction for use
According to the instructions, the drug is taken orally, washed down with water, the tablet is swallowed without chewing, washed down with water. Cefixime in tablets is used regardless of food intake. If it is impossible to swallow, the tablet is crushed, mixed with water, the resulting suspension is drunk immediately.
For adults or adolescents with a body weight of more than 50 kg, 400 mg of the drug is prescribed per day in 1-2 doses, with a weight of 25-50 kg — 8 mg / kg of weight once / day or every 12 hours for 4 mg / kg. The course lasts until the symptoms disappear, additional treatment lasts 2-3 days.
The special instructions section contains a list of important recommendations for using the drug. Check it out:
- If there is a history of digestive tract diseases, bleeding, liver dysfunction, the drug is prescribed with caution. The tool can cause pseudomembranous colitis.
- A long course of therapy can provoke an outbreak of growth of Candida albicans, candidiasis of the oral mucosa.
- Long-term therapy requires control of the blood formation formula and the functions of the kidneys and liver.
The use of the drug during pregnancy is indicated if the intended benefit to the mother is higher than the risk to the fetus. The medication can be used, but with careful medical supervision and with caution. During lactation (breastfeeding), the use of cefixime is contraindicated because its active substance passes into breast milk and may harm the baby.
Cefixime for children has been used since 6 months of age. Pediatricians advise starting treatment of the child with a powder to prepare a suspension, it is better to avoid tablets under the age of 12 years. The dosage of the drug for children depends on body weight — at 25-50 kg, 8 mg / kg of weight is prescribed once / day or twice / day at 4 mg / kg. With a weight of more than 50 kg, you need to drink 400 mg of the drug in 1-2 doses per day.
During treatment with cefixime, side effects may occur. The most common of them include:
- dry mouth, anorexia, dyspepsia, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, intestinal cramps, flatulence;
- hyperbilirubinemia, jaundice;
- candidiasis of the oral mucosa, digestive tract, stomatitis, dysbiosis, pseudomembranous colitis, glossitis;
- thrombocytopenia, eosinophilia, leukopenia, neutropenia, agranulocytosis, hemolytic anemia;
- headache, dizziness;
- impaired renal function, interstitial nephritis;
- urticaria, allergic reactions, fever, flushing of tissues;
- vaginitis, genital itching.
Exceeding the dose of the drug, a person may feel nausea, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea will begin. There are no specific antidotes to the medicine, gastric lavage, intake of enterosorbents and detoxification therapy, and mechanical ventilation are possible to normalize the condition. In the fight against poisoning, hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis is ineffective.